Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Upcycled Jewelry: Everything Has A Repurpose...

Lots and lots of jewelry-making... that's what I've been up to lately! Since I had all my jewelry stuff out from a recent custom order, I figured I would take that momentum to build up my inventory for an upcoming art show. And suddenly... I got on a roll...

This "official" Junk Dealer's badge became a whimsical necklace with all kinds of junk (I mean that in a good way) on display. This fabulous flea market find turned into a real statement piece.

At a recent church sale, I found these vintage metal bobbins — a whole margarine tub of them actually — for a buck! When I grabbed them for inspiration, I realized I had a complete rainbow of colors. Add a tape measure neckpiece and voilà!

These are a couple of pieces I collected over the years. I knew I wanted to turn this fun little kitty pin into a necklace, but had no idea it would take me here. I love asymmetrical balance and it kind of makes me think of the Cheshire Cat! Meeeeow.

At a recent wholesale show, I found this awesome antique booth with lots and lots of one-of-a-kind salt and pepper shakers. I was pleased to be able to create more of my bird nestlaces with them, like this blue birdie here.

And while this hand grenade (yes, I said it myself... hand grenade?) salt shaker was gorgeous in its complex design, it gave me quite a challenge with a theme. I looked for items that matched it's beautiful patina and went from there. Once I found the daisy pin and the watch, it all came together! Let's give peace a chance... because time is running out!

I also had a collection of these cage-style purses and thought I'd like to do something with them. I engineered a way to make them hang correctly and was going to leave it at that. But when I started pairing up vintage pins on the front... Pow! Yeah... that just makes the piece.

And speaking of purses, I found this adorable little beauty (only 2" wide) at a flea market a few months back. Sewing on a vintage fleur de lis pendant, adding some well-patina'd chain and some luminous pink glass beads added just the right touch.

So that's only a little bit of what I've been working on these past two weeks! Getting ready for the Ocean Grove Boardwalk Art Show on July 28th. After that, I'll be adding the rest of these upcycled, mixed media jewelry creations to my Etsy shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, and thanks for taking the time to visit my blog! Your thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated!

Please feel free to post any questions you may have and I will answer in the same thread.

Creatively...

michelle renee bernard
www.YesterdaysTrashArt.com