Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Wounded...

For a long time now, I've been creating works that are... well... kind of sweet and pretty and colorful (a.k.a. pink!). And I think it's time to work on some pieces that relate more to the sad and difficult emotions I've been experiencing of late. They need to come out and manifest themselves into wonderful pieces of art too!

This piece I'm working on now is called Wounded. She's kind of a statement about how I felt growing up as a child. Having moved around a lot, I was always the target of bullies and mean girls in the new neighborhood. It left me feeling kind of wounded.... even to this day. I'm going to paint a target on her belly to drive home that point, and make some kind of woodsy assemblage to put her in. She's still sad, but happy to have made it through the forest.... almost unscathed.

4 comments:

  1. I have so much to say here ... I went back and read the post I somehow missed ... there are so many similarities in so many of our lives. Another angle for people who suffer from depression is to get checked out by a doctor. One of the most horrifyingly depressive times of my life was last winter/spring/summer. I stopped doing art. I stopped taking photos. I stopped caring. Then I had a heart attack. After the stent was placed in my heart, I went home and to my shock the depression was gone. Just like that. Several weeks ago there was a news article that depression can cause heart problems. I think it's the other way around. Any physical ailment can lead to depression. Not all depression is physical ailment, though. My daughter is bipolar with severe anxiety (hasn't left the house in 2 years - dropped out of high school) - misfiring synapses, chemical imbalances, etc. I see her suffer and know what it's like. She knows to watch for triggers, and music is what helps her.

    I'm so glad to know you have your art to help. Because you are an amazing artist - an inspiration!

    I know I'm breaking the rules with such a long comment, but I don't care.

    I wish you a beautiful day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is awesome, Michelle. Sad, yes, but she has a right to be. The best thing about her is that she still sees the beauty in the forest and is learning to see it in herself too, I think.

    You go girl ! Viva La ART !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Ladies! Love both of your in"sights"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for sharing. I am 41 years old and when i was a child they bullied me very much. And i feel still that it has an influence on how i am today. It feels good to read that i am not alone in that

    ReplyDelete

Hello, and thanks for taking the time to visit my blog! Your thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated!

Please feel free to post any questions you may have and I will answer in the same thread.

Creatively...

michelle renee bernard
www.YesterdaysTrashArt.com