Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Taking A Chance...

Nothing like an upcoming juried show to get in gear and create something that's been floating around my brain for awhile! This time, I wanted to make an Asbury Park themed painting that looked like the board walk Chance card from the Monopoly game.

And, of course, since it's Asbury... I had to give my favorite guy Tillie his props! It took me like 11 different drawings, but I finally got him looking happily dapper!

After adding him to my existing drawing, it's time to make a transfer... the old fashioned way, with pencil. Hurry, the light is fading!!

Transfer is  in place and now it's time to trace really hard. I don't know if you mixed media artists out there have this same problem... but I find it difficult to work on a canvas.... well... because there's a hole in the back! So I put a stack of magazines underneath the area I'm working on and it makes things much easier!

Now the tricky part... to paint this entire 16" x 20" canvas without rubbing off any of the pencil lines!!

Whew! Four or five hours later (that precision work gives me a neck ache), and I am totally ecstatic with the outcome! Let's hope he gets in the show.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE.....LOVE.....LOVE!!!!! This is awesome......I wish you the best for 2012 and always. I can't believe what happened in January either....mine came crashing in..was off to a great start and now I can't get anything done. Today is a whole new day though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have also had the problem of pencil lines disappearing or smudging. At art stores there is a fixative spray or sealant or the cheapy version hairspray (test something you dont care about first) Also carbon paper is quicker than the pencil rubbing method for transfering lines. I use a little projector I got at an art store you just put on top of original .I love your Art!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, and thanks for taking the time to visit my blog! Your thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated!

Please feel free to post any questions you may have and I will answer in the same thread.

Creatively...

michelle renee bernard
www.YesterdaysTrashArt.com