Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Scary Pop-Ins...

Recently, I had a really bad day. So that evening, I took some time to just relax... clear my mind... and meditate for a bit. When I did, this gothic-steampunk-style Mary Poppins character came into my mind. Now, this type of thing doesn't usually happen to me while meditating (I usually don't see a darn thing!), so I figured... I'd better put her on paper!

I was amazed at how quickly I was able to sketch her out (still being a little timid in the drawing department!), and how she actually resembled the figure I saw in my head!

I was never trained in drawing, so I just kind of made marks and started shading willy-nilly until I felt like there was some depth. It may not be technically correct... but who cares! As long as I'm happy with it.

I added details in the dress, using all the pencils in my arsenal... H's.... B's.... HB's. I have a little chart I made of the different darkness and smudgy-ness of each one, that I keep in my pencil case. It definitely comes in handy!

I was going to just shade the umbrella, but decided to try a pattern as well. I think that's my favorite part of being creative in the moment... when I think of something new to try and I'm not afraid to try it!

And then there she was. Just as I saw her in my mind. A huge breakthrough for me meditatively and artistically. I can't wait to see who pops in next!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome job! I love those moments of breakthrough, like you're breaking the tape at the finish line.

    I love the subtle pattern on the umbrella.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep coming back to look at that freaky eye.. lol!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, and thanks for taking the time to visit my blog! Your thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated!

Please feel free to post any questions you may have and I will answer in the same thread.

Creatively...

michelle renee bernard
www.YesterdaysTrashArt.com