Wednesday, November 28, 2012

If You Make That Face... You'll Get Stuck That Way!

Yup, that's what mom used to tell me... if you keep making that face... you're going to get stuck that way! And she was right. Once I started making these old-fashioned-looking rag dolls back in May, I couldn't get them out of my head.

I had a few little souls sitting by my sewing machine for months, and I finally got a chance to start the process of bringing them to life.

Picking out the buttons for eyes and noses is one of my favorite... and quite difficult tasks (believe it or not!).

There are so many combinations I could choose that eventually I just have to stop myself and say... these will work!

Sometimes I find some really cool buttons (like this flower one here) and use them to add some whimsy to my doll. I also like to use more "floppy" buttons for the nose, as they make the funny face funner!

And sometimes I don't use any buttons at all. This little Japanese Shogun girl just "happened" when a few scraps of fabric were piled together. I love it when stuff like that happens!

I have lots more work to do on these modern vintage rag dolls, but I can't wait to get started. I leave them laying on my dining room table so they can remind me not to wait so long this time!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, goodness, but these are great. As soon as I opened up your page, I just laughed! Loving the shot of those buttons as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the shogun girl. I have a vast and frightening vintage collection of buttons inherited from a great aunt that I am constantly rifling through, trying to find the 'perfect' buttons for eyes or for a jumper, not remembering that, 'hey, it's a button and all buttons are awesome, so just pick any two and they'll be great!' Or maybe that's just how I think about buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paula, I always try to be a little clever with the titles of my blog posts! And Charity, what a splendidly amusing reply! Thanks ladies for making me smile! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Hello, and thanks for taking the time to visit my blog! Your thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated!

Please feel free to post any questions you may have and I will answer in the same thread.

Creatively...

michelle renee bernard
www.YesterdaysTrashArt.com