Tuesday, December 13, 2011

We All Scream for Ice Cream...

Recently I sketched this argyle ice cream cone and wanted to turn it into something fun. I actually tried a 5" x 7" watercolor version... but I did not like that at all! So I decided to fall back on my favorite techniques... mixed media and acrylics! And I was going BIG...

I wanted a fun and whimsical background, so I decorated this 16" x 20" canvas with a mottled pink background, made some paper peppermint swirl candy, and sprinkled in varying sizes of white stars for visual contrast.

I transferred a gigantic version of the argyle ice cream cone sketch and started to mask it off. I seem to  be building on other techniques I've tried out lately! Wasn't sure how far to go, but I did want to keep the background elements showing through.

Then it was time for a nice, thick, dark, black outline of acrylic paint. I wanted it to look like a silkscreen image and really stand out against the super sweet background. I was very pleased when it turned out so well. Oh... and the smiley face... well, that just happened. Totally unplanned... but this delightful painting was just begging for a kawaii-style happy face! And it won.

Next up...  I think maybe a cotton candy with gumdrops in the background!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, and thanks for taking the time to visit my blog! Your thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated!

Please feel free to post any questions you may have and I will answer in the same thread.

Creatively...

michelle renee bernard
www.YesterdaysTrashArt.com